Abbreviations:ARR (aortic root replacement), AVR (aortic valve replacement), CRF (chronic renal failure), CRF-HD (chronic renal failure on hemodialysis), ESRD (end stage renal disease), HD (hemodialysis), SVD (structural valve deterioration), TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- ACC/AHA guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease. A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association. Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Committee on Management of Patients with Valvular Heart Disease).J Am Coll Cardiol. 1998; 32: 1486-1588
- Cardiac valve replacement in patients on dialysis: influence of prosthesis on survival.Ann Thorac Surg. 2000; 70: 438-441
American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines; Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists; Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions; ACC/AHA 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with valvular heart disease 2006;114:e84–e231.
- Influence of age on longevity of a stentless aortic valve [published online ahead of print, 2019 Dec 23].Ann Thorac Surg. 2019; S00034975: 31903-31908
- US renal data system 2019 annual data report: epidemiology of kidney disease in the United States.Am J Kidney Dis. 2020; 75: A6-A7
- Cardiac calcification in adult hemodialysis patients. A link between end-stage renal disease and cardiovascular disease?.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 39: 695-701
- Are bioprostheses associated with better outcome than mechanical valves in patients with chronic kidney disease requiring dialysis who undergo valve surgery?.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2012; 15: 473-483
- Prosthesis selection for aortic valve replacement in patients on hemodialysis.Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020; 68: 122-128
- Long-term survival of dialysis patients in the United States with prosthetic heart valves: should ACC/AHA practice guidelines on valve selection be modified?.Circulation. 2002; 105: 1336-1341
- Long-term results of mechanical and biological heart valves in dialysis and non-dialysis patients.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2011; 59: 454-459
- Trends and outcomes of aortic valve replacement in patients with end-stage renal disease on hemodialysis.Am J Cardiol. 2017; 120: 1626-1632
- Medtronic Freestyle aortic bioprosthesis: a potential option for haemodialysis patients†.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2016; 22: 459-464
- The risk of infection-related hospitalization with decreased kidney function.Am J Kidney Dis. 2012; 59: 356-363
- Early and late outcomes of aortic valve replacement in dialysis patients.Ann Thorac Surg. 2010; 89: 65-70
- Valve replacement in patients on chronic renal dialysis: implications for valve prosthesis selection.Ann Thorac Surg. 2002; 74: 37-42
- Intermediate-term outcomes of aortic valve replacement with bioprosthetic or mechanical valves in patients on hemodialysis [published correction appears in J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020 Jan 7;:].J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 157: 2177-2186.e3
- Transcatheter versus surgical aortic valve replacement in patients with end stage renal disease.Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2020; : 1-8
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; National Center for Health Statistics. National Death Index n.d. 2018
Oral presentation: AHA 2019
Date and Number of IRB Approval: July 10, 2013; HUM00076499; a waiver of informed consent was obtained.
Meeting Presentation: AHA Scientific Sessions 2019, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Funding: Dr. Yang is supported by the NHLBI of NIH K08HL130614, R01HL141891, and R01HL151776, Phil Jenkins and Darlene & Stephen J. Szatmari Funds.
Conflicts of Interest: Dr. Deeb is an advisor for Medtronic. Dr. Patel is a consultant for WL Gore, Medtronic, and Terumo.