Abbreviations:CI (Confidence interval), COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), HL (Hodges-Lehmann), HRQoL (health-related quality of life), IRB (Institutional Review Board), MI (myocardial infarction), PROMIS (Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System), randomForestsSRC (Fast Unified Random Forests for Survival, Regression, and Classification), SD (standard deviation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Extensive aortic replacement using "elephant trunk" prosthesis.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1983; 31: 37-40
- Extended and total simultaneous aortic replacement: Latest technical modifications and improved results with 34 patients.J Card Surg. 1997; 12: 261-269
- An approach to spinal cord protection during descending or thoracoabdominal aortic repairs.Ann Thorac Surg. 1999; 67 (discussion 1953–1938): 1935-1936
- Single-stage replacement of the thoracic aorta.Ann Thorac Surg. 2002; 74 (author reply 1293): 1292
- Thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair: A 20-year perspective.Ann Thorac Surg. 2007; 83 (discussion S890–852): S856-S861
- One-stage repair of extensive thoracic aortic disease.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010; 140 (discussion S185–S190): S150-S153
- Outcomes of 3309 thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repairs.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016; 151: 1323-1337
- Protecting the brain and spinal cord in aortic arch surgery.Ann Cardiothorac Surg. 2018; 7: 345-350
- Hybrid approaches to thoracic aortic aneurysms: The role of endovascular elephant trunk completion.Circ. 2005; 112: 2619-2626
- Endovascular repair of thoracoabdominal aneurysms.Circ. 2008; 117: 2288-2296
- Endovascular versus open elephant trunk completion for extensive aortic disease.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013; 146 (discussion 1416–1407): 1408-1416
- 2010 ACCF/AHA/AATS/ACR/ASA/SCA/SCAI/SIR/STS/SVM guidelines for the diagnosis and management of patients with thoracic aortic disease: executive summary. A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines, American Association for Thoracic Surgery, American College of Radiology, American Stroke Association, Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists, Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions, Society of Interventional Radiology, Society of Thoracic Surgeons, and Society for Vascular Medicine.Catheter Cardiovasc Interv. 2010; 76: E43-E86
- 2014 ESC Guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of aortic diseases: Document covering acute and chronic aortic diseases of the thoracic and abdominal aorta of the adult. The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Aortic Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 2873-2926
- Guidelines for the management of thoracic aortic disease in 2017.Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 67: 59-65
- Locally weighted regression: An approach to regression analysis by local fitting.J Am Stat Assoc. 1988; 83: 596-610
- Smoothing parameter selection in nonparametric regression using an improved Akaike information criterion.J R Stat Soc Series B Stat Methodol. 1998; 60: 271-293
- Random forests for survival, regression and classification (RF-SRC).2018 (R package version 220.127.116.11. Available at)Accessed 2018)
- Variable importance in binary regression trees and forests.Electron J Stat. 2007; 1: 519-537
- Greedy function approximation: A gradient boosting machine.Ann Stat. 2001; 29: 1189-1232
- Replacement of entire aorta from aortic valve to bifurcation during one operation.Ann Thorac Surg. 1994; 58: 1164-1166
- Total aortic replacement.Ann Thorac Surg. 1994; 57: 1685-1687
- The elephant trunk procedure: Uses in complex aortic diseases.Curr Opin Cardiol. 2005; 20: 491-495
- Clinical outcomes and fate of the distal aorta following 1-stage repair of extensive chronic thoracic aortic dissection.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013; 146: 1086-1091
- Surgery, complications, and quality of life: A longitudinal cohort study exploring the role of psychosocial factors.Ann Surg. 2019; 270: 95-101
- Elective surgery for thoracic aortic aneurysms: Late functional status and quality of life.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 82: 573-578
- Health-related quality of life in thoracic aortic disease: Part II. After surgery on the proximal (root, ascending, arch) aorta.Aorta (Stamford). 2013; 1: 162-170
- Quality of life after intervention on the thoracic aorta.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016; 49: 369-389
- Contemporary results following surgical repair of acute type a aortic dissection (AAAD): A single centre experience.Heart Lung Circ. 2010; 19: 665-672
- The effect of thoracoabdominal aneurysm repair on quality of life.J Vasc Surg. 2009; 50: 251-255
- Quality of life and survival of septuagenarians and octogenarians after repair of descending and thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013; 145: 378-384
- Health-related quality of life in long term-survivors of thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysm repair.J Vasc Nurs. 2005; 23 (quiz 95): 88-94
- Outcome and quality of life after surgical and endovascular treatment of descending aortic lesions.Ann Thorac Surg. 2008; 85: 1605-1612
- From tear to fear: Posttraumatic stress disorder in patients with acute type A aortic dissection.J Am Heart Assoc. 2020; 9e015060
Funding: This study was supported in part by the Drs. Sidney and Becca Fleischer Heart and Vascular Education Chair.
Conflicts of Interest: Christopher J. Smolock: Gore and Terumo Aortic research and speaker.
Lars G. Svensson: National Co PI PROACT Xa Trial.
Eric E. Roselli: Consultant and investigator for Cook, Cryolife, Gore, Medtronic, Terumo Aortic.
IRB approval: Approved by Cleveland Clinic Institutional Review Board on October 5, 2017, numbers 4826 and 18-773.