Abbreviations:3D (Three-dimensional), AUROC (Area under the receiver-operating characteristic curve), BMI (Body mass index), CT (Computed tomography), IQR (Interquartile range), MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging), NPV (Negative predictive value), PPV (Positive predictive value), ROC (Receiver-operating characteristic), SD (Standard deviation), STARD (Standards for reporting of diagnostic accuracy studies)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Anatomical, histologic, and genetic characteristics of congenital chest wall deformities.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 21: 44-57
- Factors affecting risks of congenital malformations. I. Analysis of epidemiologic factors in congenital malformations. Report from the collaborative perinatal project.Birth Defects Orig Artic Ser. 1975; 11: 1-22
- Symptoms in pectus deformities: a scoring system for subjective physical complaints.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017; 65: 43-49
- Repair of pectus excavatum deformities: 30 years of experience with 375 patients.Ann Surg. 2000; 231: 443-448
- Prospective multicenter study of surgical correction of pectus excavatum: design, perioperative complications, pain, and baseline pulmonary function facilitated by internet-based data collection.J Am Coll Surg. 2007; 205: 205-216
- Minimally invasive repair of pectus excavatum: a single institution's experience.Surgery. 2001; 130: 652-659
- Use of CT scans in selection of patients for pectus excavatum surgery: a preliminary report.J Pediatr Surg. 1987; 22: 904-906
- Indexes for pectus deformities.in: Kolvekar S Pilegaard H Chest Wall Deformities and Corrective Procedures. Springer International Publishing, Cham2016: 35-60
- The correction index: setting the standard for recommending operative repair of pectus excavatum.Ann Thorac Surg. 2014; 97: 1176-1179
- Estimated risks of radiation-induced fatal cancer from pediatric CT.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2001; 176: 289-296
- Radiosensitivity of children: potential for overexposure in CR and DR and magnitude of doses in ordinary radiographic examinations.Pediatr Radiol. 2004; 34: S167-S172
- The use of computed tomography in pediatrics and the associated radiation exposure and estimated cancer risk.JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 700-707
- Non-radiographic severity measurement of pectus excavatum.J Surg Res. 2019; 233: 376-380
- Method of pectus excavatum measurement based on structured light technique.J Biomed Opt. 2009; 14044041
- A novel technique to measure severity of pediatric pectus excavatum using white light scanning.J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 54: 656-662
- Clinical impact of optical imaging with 3-D reconstruction of torso topography in common anterior chest wall anomalies.J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42: 898-903
- A novel objective approach to the external measurement of pectus excavatum severity by means of an optical device.Ann Thorac Surg. 2018; 106: 221-227
- Optical imaging versus CT and plain radiography to quantify pectus severity: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Thorac Dis. 2020; 12: 1475-1487
- STARD 2015 guidelines for reporting diagnostic accuracy studies: explanation and elaboration.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e012799
- Photographic documentation and severity quantification of pectus excavatum through three-dimensional optical surface imaging.J Vis Commun Med. 2020; 43: 190-197
- Comparison of Haller index values calculated with chest radiographs versus CT for pectus excavatum evaluation.Pediatr Radiol. 2010; 40: 1763-1767
- Twenty-one years of experience with minimally invasive repair of pectus excavatum by the Nuss procedure in 1215 patients.Ann Surg. 2010; 252: 1072-1081
- Early results following the Nuss operation for pectus excavatum – a single-institution experience of 383 patients.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2008; 7: 54-57
- Surgical correction of 639 pectus excavatum cases via the Nuss procedure.J Thorac Dis. 2015; 7: 1595-1605
- Three-dimensional optical imaging for pectus excavatum assessment.Ann Thorac Surg. 2019; 108: 1065-1071
- Limited, fast magnetic resonance imaging as an alternative for preoperative evaluation of pectus excavatum: a feasibility study.J Thorac Imaging. 2012; 27: 393-397
- Chest fast MRI: an imaging alternative on pre-operative evaluation of Pectus Excavatum.J Pediatr Surg. 2012; 47: 485-489
- Three-dimensional imaging of the chest wall: a comparison between three different imaging systems.J Surg Res. 2020; 259: 332-341
- X-ray-free protocol for pectus deformities based on magnetic resonance imaging and a low-cost portable three-dimensional scanning device: a preliminary study.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2021;
- Breathe in. breathe out. stop breathing: does phase of respiration affect the Haller index in patients with pectus excavatum?.Am J Roentgenol. 2011; 197: W934-W939
- A novel measure for pectus excavatum: the correction index.J Pediatr Surg. 2011; 46: 2270-2273
- Relationship between cardiac MR compression classification and CT chest wall indexes in patients with pectus excavatum.J Pediatr Surg. 2018; 53: 2294-2298
- Pectus excavatum imaging: enough but not too much.Pediatr Radiol. 2010; 40: 168-172
- The automatic quantification of morphological features of pectus excavatum based on three-dimensional images.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2022; 34: 772-781
IRB: METCZ20190048, approval date: April 9, 2019.
Informed Consent: Written informed consent was obtained prior to inclusion. Additional consent was obtained from the patient's parent(s) or legal guardian if younger than 16 years of age.
Clinical trial registry: NCT03926078, approval date: April 18, 2019.
Funding: This work was supported by the Zuyderland Research and Innovation Fund of Zuyderland Medical Center (Heerlen, the Netherlands) (2019-005).
Conflicts of Interest: None of the authors have any conflicts of interest to declare. In addition, none of the authors have any commercial financial relationships to declare.