Abbreviations:AVR (aortic valve replacement), AI (aortic insufficiency), IQR (interquartile range), CABG (coronary artery bypass grafting), MACE (major adverse cardiovascular event)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Aortic valve replacement and the Ross operation in children and young adults.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016; 67: 2858-2870
- Quality of life in aortic valve replacement: Pulmonary autografts versus mechanical prostheses.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2001; 37: 1963-1966
- Loss in Life expectancy after surgical aortic valve replacement: SWEDEHEART study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 74: 26-33
- Long-term outcomes of patients undergoing the ross procedure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021; 77: 1412-1422
- Improved survival after the Ross procedure compared with mechanical aortic valve replacement.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 1337-1344
- The ross procedure: A systematic review, meta-analysis, and microsimulation.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2018; 11e004748
- Reparative surgery of the pulmonary autograft: Experience with Ross reoperations.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012; 41: 1309-1314
- Late results of the Ross procedure.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 157: 201-208
- The living aortic valve: From molecules to function.Glob Cardiol Sci Pract. 2014; 2014: 52-77
- Autograft and pulmonary allograft performance in the second post-operative decade after the Ross procedure: insights from the Rotterdam Prospective Cohort Study.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 2213-2224
- Valve performance classification in 630 subcoronary Ross patients over 22 years.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 156: 79-86
- Excellent results up to 20 years with the Ross operation, albeit with some sobering.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 157: 209-210
- Long-term outcomes with the pulmonary autograft inclusion technique in adults with bicuspid aortic valves undergoing the Ross procedure.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021; (S0022-5223(21)00200-2. [ahead of print])
- European multicenter experience with valve-sparing reoperations after the Ross procedure.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015; 150: 1132-1137
- Spectrum and outcome of reoperations after the ross procedure.Circulation. 2010; 122: 1153-1158
- The Ross-Yacoub procedure for aneurysmal autograft roots: A strategy to preserve autologous pulmonary valves.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010; 139: 536-542
- Preservation of the pulmonary autograft after failure of the Ross procedure.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2010; 38: 326-332
- Transcatheter pulmonary valve replacement for right ventricular outflow tract conduit dysfunction after the ross procedure.Ann Thorac Surg. 2015; 100: 996-1002
- Quality of life after aortic valve repair is similar to Ross patients and superior to mechanical valve replacement: a cross-sectional study.BMC Cardiovasc Disord. 2016; 16: 63
Read at the AATS 101st Annual Meeting: A Virtual Learning Experience, April 30-May 2, 2021.
Supported by Institutional Funds of the University of Verona.
Institutional Review Board approval was obtained for the conduct of this study and the board waived the need for patient consent (approval number 64927, date 30/11/2020).
Conflicts of Interest: None of the Authors has any conflict of interest.
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Commentary: The Ross Procedure is the Most Suitable Aortic Valve Operation in Young AdultsSeminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular SurgeryVol. 35Issue 1
- PreviewA living Valve Substitute in the Aortic Position has been demonstrated to improve survival and quality of life of patients requiring an aortic valve replacement operation.1 Since the inception of the Ross procedure by Donald Ross in 1967, increasing autograft reoperation rates led to its initial unpopularity. Short and Long-term outcomes of the Ross procedure in children have consistently shown to be superior to any other aortic valve replacement option, however, the same is not yet true for young adults.