Abbreviations:95% CI (95% confidence interval), AIS (adenocarcinoma in situ), ALK (anaplastic lymphoma kinase), c-Stage (clinical stage), CT (computed tomography), CTR (consolidation/tumor ratio), EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor), GGO (ground-glass opacity), HER-2 (human epidermal growth factor receptor-2), HRs (hazard ratios), HU (hounsfield units), IQR (interquartile range), JCOG (Japan Clinical Oncology Group), K-Ras (Kirsten-Ras), MIA (minimally invasive adenocarcinoma), NSCLC (non-small cell lung cancer), Nx (lymph node status unknown), OS (overall survival), PET (positron emission tomography), PI3KCA (phosphatidyl-inositol 4,5-bisphosphate 3-kinase catalytic subunit alpha isoform), pN (pathological lymph node), RFS (recurrence-free survival), TNM (tumor–node–metastasis), VATS (video-assisted thoracic surgery), WHO classification (World Health Organization classification)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Ground glass opacitiesmanagement in the lung cancer screening era.Ann Transl Med. 2018; 6: 90
- The IASLC Lung Cancer Staging Project: Proposals for coding T categories for subsolid nodules and assessment of tumor size in part-solid tumors in the forthcoming eighth edition of the TNM classification of lung cancer.J Thorac Oncol. 2016; 11: 1204-1223
- Comparison of pulmonary segmentectomy and lobectomy: Safety results of a randomized trial.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 158: 895-907
- Prognostic impact of a ground-glass opacity component in clinical stage IA non-small cell lung cancer.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021; 161: 1469-1480
- A single-arm study of sublobar resection for ground-glass opacity dominant peripheral lung cancer.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2022; 163: 289-301 e282https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2020.09.146
- A non-randomized confirmatory trial of segmentectomy for clinical T1N0 lung cancer with dominant ground glass opacity based on thin-section computed tomography (JCOG1211).Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017; 65: 267-272
- Management of ground-glass opacities in the lung cancer spectrum.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; 110: 1796-1804
- Ground-glass nodules of the lung in never-smokers and smokers: Clinical and genetic insights.Transl Lung Cancer Res. 2018; 7: 487-497
- Comparing part-solid and pure-solid tumors in the TNM classification of lung cancer (eighth edition).Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2019; 67: 306-314
- The Eighth edition lung cancer stage classification.Chest. 2017; 151: 193-203
- A prospective radiological study of thin-section computed tomography to predict pathological noninvasiveness in peripheral clinical IA lung cancer (Japan Clinical Oncology Group 0201).J Thorac Oncol. 2011; 6: 751-756
- Lung cancer imaging methods in China from 2005 to 2014: A national, multicenter study.Thorac Cancer. 2019; 10: 708-714
- Revised ESTS guidelines for preoperative mediastinal lymph node staging for non-small-cell lung cancer.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2014; 45: 787-798
- Lung cancer in People's Republic of China.J Thorac Oncol. 2020; 15: 1567-1576
- Prognostic significance of ground-glass opacity components in 5-year survivors with resected lung adenocarcinoma.Ann Surg Oncol. 2021; 28: 148-156
- Distinct clinicopathologic characteristics and prognosis based on the presence of ground glass opacity component in clinical stage IA lung adenocarcinoma.J Thorac Oncol. 2019; 14: 265-275
- Distinct clinicopathologic factors and prognosis based on the presence of ground-glass opacity components in patients with resected stage I non-small cell lung cancer.Ann Transl Med. 2020; 8: 1133
- A Proposal for restaging of invasive lung adenocarcinoma manifesting as pure ground glass opacity.Ann Thorac Surg. 2019; 107: 1523-1531
- Influence of ground glass opacity and the corresponding pathological findings on survival in patients with clinical stage I non-small cell lung cancer.J Thorac Oncol. 2018; 13: 533-542
- Clinical impact of a small component of ground-glass opacity in solid-dominant clinical stage IA non-small cell lung cancer.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2022; 163: 791-801 e794https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2020.12.089
- Do all lung adenocarcinomas follow a stepwise progression?.Lung Cancer. 2011; 74: 7-11
- Small adenocarcinoma of the lung. Histologic characteristics and prognosis.Cancer. 1995; 75: 2844-2852
- Interobserver size measurement variability in part-solid lung adenocarcinoma using pre-operative computed tomography.J Thorac Dis. 2019; 11: 2924-2931
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
This work was supported by the Shanghai Medical Innovation Research Project (Grant No. 20Y11908200 ). Institutional Review Board (IRB) Approval: This retrospective review was approved by the institutional review board of Zhongshan Hospital, Fudan University ( B2018-137R , July 27, 2018).
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.