Abbreviations:AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges), ABSITE (American Board of Surgery In-Training Examination), ACGME (Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education), AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha), ERAS (Electronic Residency Application System), GME (Graduate Medical Education), IF (impact factor), NCI-CCC (National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center), NRMP (National Resident Matching Program)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Trends in applications for thoracic fellowship in comparison with other subspecialties.Ann Thorac Surg. 2014; 97: 624-633
- Spouses of thoracic surgery applicants: Changing demographics and motivations in a new generation.J Surg Educ. 2013; 70: 640-646
- Cardiothoracic surgery resident education: Update on resident recruitment and job placement.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 82: 1160-1165
- Factors affecting interest in cardiothoracic surgery: Survey of North American general surgery residents.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 137: 1054-1062
- Characteristics of matriculants to thoracic surgery residency training programs.Ann Thorac Surg. 2021; 112: 2070-2075
- Are general surgery residents ready to practice? A survey of the American College of Surgeons Board of Governors and Young Fellows Association.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 218 (e31): 1063-1072
- Early subspecialization and perceived competence in surgical training: Are residents ready?.J Am Coll Surg. 2013; 216: 764-773
- Trends in research time, fellowship training, and practice patterns among general surgery graduates.J Surg Educ. 2011; 68: 309-312
- Perceptions of graduating general surgery chief residents: Are they confident in their training?.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 218: 695-703
“2021 thoracic surgery match results statistics report”. Available at: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Thoracic-Surgery-and-Vascular-Surgery_AY2022-2.pdf Accessed February 2, 2022
- Normalized competitive index: Analyzing trends in surgical fellowship training over the past decade (2009-2018).J Surg Educ. 2020; 77: 74-81
AAMC. GME track. Available at: https://www.aamc.org/data-reports/students-residents/report/gme-track. Accessed June 15, 2022.
- Qualities and characteristics of applicants associated with successful matriculation to pediatric surgery fellowship training.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 55: 2075-2079
- An examination of applicants and factors associated with matriculation to complex general surgical oncology fellowship training programs.Ann Surg Oncol. 2018; 25: 3436-3442
- The role of National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center status: Observed variation in surgical care depends on the level of evidence.Ann Surg. 2012; 255: 890-895
- The prevalence of dissemination and implementation research and training grants at National Cancer Institute-Designated Cancer Centers.JNCI Cancer Spectr. 2021; 6: pkab092
- Training of male and female surgical residents.JAMA Surg. 2020; 155: 999-1000
- Factors associated with general surgery residents' desire to leave residency programs: A multi-institutional study.JAMA Surg. 2014; 149: 948-953
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: Funded by the Donald J. Ferguson, MD, Surgical Research Fund.
Disclosures: Nothing to disclose.
IRB: University of Chicago, IRB20-1610, approved on October 22, 2020.
Presented at the 102nd meeting of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery, Boston, MA, May 15, 2022.
Read at the AATS 102nd Annual Meeting, May 14–17, 2022, Boston, MA.