Abbreviations:AA (aortic atresia), APCs (aortopulmonary collaterals), AS (aortic stenosis), BCPS (bidirectional cavopulmonary shunt), CMR (cardiac magnetic resonance), CPB (cardiopulmonary bypass), HLHS (hypoplastic left heart syndrome), ICU (intensive care unit), IQR (interquartile ranges), LIMA (left internal mammary artery), MA (mitral atresia), MBTS (modified Blalock-Taussig shunt), MS (mitral stenosis), PA (pulmonary artery), PAP (pulmonary artery pressure), RIMA (right internal mammary artery), RVPAC (right ventricle to pulmonary artery conduit), SO2 (aortic oxygen saturation), TCPC (total cavopulmonary connection)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Prevalence and risk factors for aortopulmonary collateral vessels after fontan and bidirectional glenn procedures.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1993; 22: 207-215
- Importance of acquired systemic-to-pulmonary collaterals in the Fontan operation.Ann Thorac Surg. 1999; 68: 969-974
- Extent of aortopulmonary collateral blood flow as a risk factor for Fontan operations.Ann Thorac Surg. 1995; 59: 433-437
- Systemic-to-pulmonary collateral flow, as measured by cardiac magnetic resonance imaging, is associated with acute post-Fontan clinical outcomes.Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2012; 5: 218-225
- Aortopulmonary collateral vessels and prolonged pleural effusions after modified Fontan procedures.Am Heart J. 1996; 131: 1164-1168
- Aortopulmonary collateral flow in the Fontan patient: does it matter?.Ann Thorac Surg. 2001; 72: 408-415
- Incidence and implications of systemic to pulmonary collaterals after bidirectional cavopulmonary anastomosis.Ann Thorac Surg. 2000; 69: 1222-1228
- Relation of systemic-to-pulmonary artery collateral flow in single ventricle physiology to palliative stage and clinical status.Am J Cardiol. 2012; 109: 1038-1045
- Risk factors for profuse systemic-to-pulmonary artery collateral burden in hypoplastic left heart syndrome.Am J Cardiol. 2013; 112: 400-404
- Factors influencing perioperative morbidity during palliation of the univentricular heart.Ann Thorac Surg. 1995; 60: S550-S553
- Pulmonary/systemic flow ratio in children after cavopulmonary anastomosis.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1995; 25: 735-738
- Acute effects of embolizing systemic-to-pulmonary arterial collaterals on blood flow in patients with superior cavopulmonary connections: a pilot study.Circ Cardiovasc Interv. 2013; 6: 101-106
- Adverse fibrosis remodeling and aortopulmonary collateral flow are associated with poor Fontan outcomes.J Cardiovasc Magn Reson. 2021; 23: 134
- Influence of Shunt Type on Survival and Right Heart Function after the Norwood Procedure for Aortic Atresia.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg S1043-0679(21)00485-8,. 2021;
- Comparison of shunt types in the neonatal Norwood procedure for single ventricle.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2021; 60: 1084-1091
- Bidirectional cavopulmonary connection without additional pulmonary blood flow as an ideal staging for functional univentricular hearts.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2008; 34: 550-554
- Risk Factors for Failed Fontan Procedure Following Stage 2 Palliation.Ann Thorac Surg. 2021; 112: 610-618
- Clinical outcome following total cavopulmonary connection: a 20-year single-centre experience.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016; 50: 632-641
- Long-term outcome of preadolescents, adolescents, and adult patients undergoing total cavopulmonary connection.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 156: 1166-1176
- A new method for the quantitative standardization of cross-sectional areas of the pulmonary arteries in congenital heart diseases with decreased pulmonary blood flow.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1984; 88: 610-619
- Consequences of right ventricle-to-pulmonary artery shunt at the first stage for the Fontan operation.Ann Thorac Surg. 2007; 84: 1611-1617
- Significance of systemic to pulmonary artery collaterals in single ventricle physiology: new insights from CMR imaging.Heart. 2012; 98: 897-899
- Comparison of shunt types in the Norwood procedure for single-ventricle lesions.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 1980-1992
- Right ventricle-to-pulmonary artery conduit versus Blalock-Taussig shunt: a hemodynamic comparison.Ann Thorac Surg. 2006; 82: 1603-1609
- Choice of shunt type for the Norwood I procedure: does it make a difference?.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2020; 30: 630-635
- Anatomic subtype and survival after reconstructive operation for hypoplastic left heart syndrome.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1994; 107: 1121-1127
- Impact of mitral stenosis and aortic atresia on survival in hypoplastic left heart syndrome.Ann Thorac Surg. 2008; 85: 2057-2062
- Surgical outcome for patients with the mitral stenosis-aortic atresia variant of hypoplastic left heart syndrome.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2008; 135: 339-346
- Practice variability and outcomes of coil embolization of aortopulmonary collaterals before Fontan completion: a report from the Pediatric Heart Network Fontan Cross-Sectional Study.Am Heart J. 2011; 162: 125-130
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
The authors declare no potential conflicts of interest with respect to the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article. This study was not supported by any funding.
Read at the AATS 102nd Annual Meeting, May 14-17, 2022, Boston, MA.
The Institutional Review Board of the Technical University of Munich approved the study (approved number of 305/20 S-KH on 2nd June, 2020).
This manuscript is presented at AATS 102nd annual meeting, May 14 - 17, 2022, Boston, MA, USA.