Abbreviations:DMF (N,N-Dimethylformamide), DMSO (Dimethyl sulfoxide), PEG-PSHU-PEG (Poly(ethylene glycol)-block- poly(serinol hexamethylene urea)-block-poly(ethylene glycol)), PBS (Phosphate-buffered saline)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Cauley CE, Anderson G, Haynes AB, et al:Predictors of in-hospital postoperative opioid overdose after major elective operations: A nationally representative cohort study. Ann Surg. Apr;265:702-708. doi:10.1097/sla.0000000000001945
Bowdish ME, D'Agostino RS, Thourani VH, et al: The society of thoracic surgeons adult cardiac surgery database: 2020 update on outcomes and research. Ann Thorac Surg. Jun;109:1646-1655. doi:10.1016/j.athoracsur.2020.03.003
- Assessing the number of annual lung cancer resections performed in the united states.Lancet. 2021;
- The impact of chest tube removal on pain and pulmonary function after pulmonary resection.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012; 41 (discussion 823): 820-822https://doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezr126
- Comparison of the results of two chest tube managements during an enhanced recovery program after video-assisted thoracoscopic lobectomy: A randomized trial.Thorac Cancer. 2019; 10: 1993-1999https://doi.org/10.1111/1759-7714.13183
- The relationship between chest tube size and clinical outcome in pleural infection.Chest. 2010; 137: 536-543https://doi.org/10.1378/chest.09-1044
- Treatment of malignant pleural effusion: pleurodesis using a small percutaneous catheter. A prospective randomized study.Respir Med. 1998; 92: 593-596https://doi.org/10.1016/s0954-6111(98)90315-8
- The use of flexible spiral drains after non-cardiac thoracic surgery. A clinical study.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2005; 27: 134-137https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejcts.2004.10.016
- Injectable polymeric delivery system for spatiotemporal and sequential release of therapeutic proteins to promote therapeutic angiogenesis and reduce inflammation.ACS Biomater Sci Eng. 2020; 6: 1217-1227https://doi.org/10.1021/acsbiomaterials.9b01758
- Sensory satellite glial Gq-GPCR activation alleviates inflammatory pain via peripheral adenosine 1 receptor activation.Sci Rep. 2020; 10 (14181-14181)https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-71073-z
- Thoracic epidural anesthesia for cardiac surgery: A randomized trial.Anesthesiology. 2011; 114: 262-270https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0b013e318201d2de
- Epidural analgesia for adults undergoing cardiac surgery with or without cardiopulmonary bypass.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2019; 3 (CD006715)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006715.pub3
- Gao Smith F. Paravertebral block versus thoracic epidural for patients undergoing thoracotomy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 2 (CD009121)https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009121.pub2
- Older adults in the cardiac intensive care unit: Factoring geriatric syndromes in the management, prognosis, and process of care: A scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2020; 141: e6-e32https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000741
- Lung surgery in elderly patients: are we doing enough?.J Thorac Dis. 2018; 10: 693-694https://doi.org/10.21037/jtd.2018.01.132
- Pain relief following sternotomy in conventional cardiac surgery: A review of non neuraxial regional nerve blocks.Ann Card Anaesth. 2020; 23: 200-208https://doi.org/10.4103/aca.ACA_241_18
- Regional analgesia in cardiothoracic surgery: A changing paradigm toward opioid-free anesthesia?.Ann Card Anaesth. 2018; 21: 225-227https://doi.org/10.4103/aca.ACA_56_18
- Short and long term outcomes of using cryoablation for postoperative pain control in patients after pectus excavatum repair.J Pediatr Surg. 2022; 57: 1050-1055https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2022.01.051
- Chest tube-delivered bupivacaine improves pain and decreases opioid use after thoracoscopy.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 87 (discussion 1046-7): 1040-1046https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2008.12.099
- Analgesic effects of interpleural bupivacaine with fentanyl for post-thoracotomy pain.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2004; 18: 461-465https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jvca.2004.05.026
- Application of lidocaine jelly on chest tubes to reduce pain caused by drainage catheter after coronary artery bypass surgery.J Korean Med Sci. 2014; 29: 1398-1403https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2014.29.10.1398
Lidocaine jelly - FDA prescribing information, side effects and uses. 2020. Accessed May 20, 2022. https://www.drugs.com/pro/lidocaine-jelly.html.
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Disclosures: The authors have no conflicts of interest.
Funding: This work was supported by NIH/NCATS Colorado CTSA (grant number UL1 TR002535) and the University of Colorado Department of Surgery Academic Enrichment Fund.
Read at the 48th Annual Meeting of the Western Thoracic Surgical Association, June 22-25, 2022, Koloa Hawaii.