Abbreviations:AS (Aortic stenosis), ASA (American Society of Anesthesiologists), CAD (Coronary artery disease), CABG (Coronary artery bypass grafting), COPD (Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease), CPR (Cardiopulmonary resuscitation), DM (Diabetes mellitus), IABP (Intra-aortic balloon pump), IQR (Interquartile range), LV (Left ventricle), LAD (Left anterior descending), LMC (Left main coronary), MI (Myocardial infarction), MR (Mitral regurgitation), NYHA (New York Heart Association), US (United States), VASQIP (Veterans Affairs Surgical Quality Improvement Program)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- 2019 ACC/AHA guideline on the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Clinical Practice Guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 74: e177-e232
- Fifty years of coronary artery bypass grafting.J Thorac Dis. 2018; 10: 1960
- A contemporary cost analysis of postoperative morbidity after coronary artery bypass grafting with and without concomitant aortic valve replacement to improve patient quality and cost-effective care.Ann Thorac Surg. 2013; 96: 1621-1627
- The New York risk score for in-hospital and 30-day mortality for coronary artery bypass graft surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2013; 95: 46-52
- Cardiac revascularization in specialty and general hospitals.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 1454-1462
- Racial disparities in 30-Day outcomes after colorectal surgery in an integrated healthcare system.J Gastrointest Surg. 2021; : 1-11
- Peer reviewed: prevalence of and trends in diabetes among veterans, United States, 2005–2014.Preventing chronic disease. 2017; : 14
- High prevalence of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among veterans in the urban midwest.Mil Med. 2011; 176: 552-560
- Dyslipidemia in veterans: multiple risk factors may break the bank.Arch Intern Med. 1991; 151: 1433-1436
- US veterans and their unique issues: enhancing health care professional awareness.Adv in med educ and practice. 2015; 6: 635
VA.gov. Racial and Ethnic Minority Veterans. VA.gov. https://www.va.gov/HEALTHEQUITY/Race_Ethnicity.asp
- Explaining racial disparities in outcomes after cardiac surgery: the role of hospital quality.JAMA surgery. 2014; 149: 223-227
- Practical guide to surgical data sets: veterans affairs surgical quality improvement program (VASQIP).JAMA surgery. 2018; 153: 768-769
Assari SJIJoPM. Veterans and risk of heart disease in the United States: A cohort with 20 years of follow up. 2014;5:703.
MacKenzie TA, Malenka DJ, Olmstead EM, et al. Prediction of survival after coronary revascularization: modeling short-term, mid-term, and long-term survival. 2009;87:463-472.
Lamarche Y, Elmi-Sarabi M, Ding L, et al. A score to estimate 30-day mortality after intensive care admission after cardiac surgery. 2017;153:1118-1125.e1114.
Enumah ZO, Canner JK, Alejo D, et al. Persistent racial and sex disparities in outcomes after coronary artery bypass surgery: a retrospective clinical registry review in the drug-eluting stent era. 2020;272:660-667.
Connolly TM, White RS, Sastow DL, Gaber-Baylis LK, Turnbull ZA, Rong LQJWjos. The disparities of coronary artery bypass grafting surgery outcomes by insurance status: A retrospective cohort study, 2007–2014. 2018;42:3240-3249.
Coyan GN, Okoye A, Shah A, et al. Effect of neighborhood socioeconomic factors on readmissions and mortality after coronary artery bypass grafting. 2021;111:561-567.
- Racial Differences in Long-Term Cardiovascular Outcomes: The Need to Move From Description to Action. Vol 13.American College of Cardiology Foundation Washington DC, 2020: 1596-1598
Development UDoHaU. The 2019 Annual Homeless Assessment Report (AHAR) to Congress. 2019.
- Processes of care and outcomes for homeless patients hospitalised for cardiovascular conditions at safety-net versus non-safety-net hospitals: cross-sectional study.BMJ open. 2021; 11e046959
- Cardiovascular outcomes and rehospitalization rates in homeless patients admitted with acute myocardial infarction.Mayo Clin Proc. 2020; 95: 660-668
- Disparities in care and mortality among homeless adults hospitalized for cardiovascular conditions.JAMA Intern. Med. 2020; 180: 357-366
- Applying the chronic care model to homeless veterans: effect of a population approach to primary care on utilization and clinical outcomes.Am J Public Health. 2010; 100: 2493-2499
Devine E. VHA homeless program office fact sheet. 2022.
- Operative mortality in women and men undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting (from the California Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Outcomes Reporting Program).Am J Cardiol. 2010; 105: 339-342
- Impact of gender on coronary bypass operative mortality.Ann Thorac Surg. 1998; 66: 125-131
- Women have worse long-term outcomes after coronary artery bypass grafting than men.Can J Cardiol. 2005; 21: 757-762
- Female gender is not a risk factor for early mortality after coronary artery bypass grafting.Ann Cardiac Anaesth. 2019; 22: 187
Deo S, Sundaram V, Sheikh MA, et al. Pre-operative glycaemic control and long-term survival in diabetic patients after coronary artery bypass grafting. 2021;60:1169-1177.
- Postoperative outcomes of patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting surgery: a meta-analysis.Medicine (Baltimore). 2019; : 98
Almassi GH, Shroyer AL, Collins JF, et al. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease impact upon outcomes: the veterans affairs randomized on/off bypass trial. 2013;96:1302-1309.
- Delay in coronary artery bypass grafting for STEMI patients improves hospital morbidity and mortality.J Cardiothoracic Surg. 2020; 15: 1-7
- Outcomes of coronary artery bypass grafting in patients with heart failure with a midrange ejection fraction.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021; : 1-10
- Association of race with mortality and cardiovascular events in a large cohort of US veterans.Circulation. 2015; 132: 1538-1548
- Preoperative ejection fraction as a predictor of survival after coronary artery bypass grafting: comparison with a matched general population.J cardiothoracic surg. 2010; 5: 1-8
- Low left ventricular ejection fraction, complication rescue, and long-term survival after coronary artery bypass grafting.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020; 163 (e112): 111-119
- Left ventricular size and outcomes in patients with left ventricular ejection fraction less than 20%.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; 110: 863-869
- Untreated aortic valve stenosis identified at the time of coronary artery bypass grafting: thresholds associated with adverse prognosis.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2015; 47: 712-719
- Impact of moderate ischemic mitral regurgitation after isolated coronary artery bypass grafting.Ann Thorac Surg. 2010; 90: 1187-1194
Scarborough JE, Bennett KM, Englum BR, Pappas TN, Lagoo-Deenadayalan SAJAos. The impact of functional dependency on outcomes after complex general and vascular surgery. 2015;261:432.
Cervera R, Bakaeen FG, Cornwell LD, et al. Impact of functional status on survival after coronary artery bypass grafting in a veteran population. 2012;93:1950-1955.
- 2020 ACC/AHA guideline for the management of patients with valvular heart disease: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Joint Committee on Clinical Practice Guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021; 77: 450-500
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: RC is supported by the UTSW TARDIS Physician-Scientist Research Fellowship funded by the Burroughs-Wellcome Fund.
Disclosures: The authors have no disclosures, financial or otherwise. Graphical abstract constructed using Biorender.com. IRB Approval Number: 20-017, DATE 4/18/2020