Abbreviations:CHF (congestive heart failure), DT (destination therapy), ICU (intensive care unit), LVAD (left ventricular assist device), NCD (national coverage decision), VAD (ventricular assist device)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- History of Mechanical Ventilation. From Vesalius to Ventilator-induced lung injury.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015; 191: 1106-1115
- Profits and professionalism.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2002; 123: 403-405
- Should the use of transcatheter aortic valve implantation be rationed?.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012; 143: 769-770
- Virtues, skills and the practice of surgery.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017; 153: 1218-1219
- Transcatheter aortic valve replacements: Clinical aspects and ethical considerations.Ann Thorac Surg. 2012; 94: 1791-1795
- The prisoner dilemma: Should convicted felons have the same access to heart transplantation as ordinary citizens? Opposing views.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003; 25 (-3): 45
- Medical ethics collides with public policy: LVAD for a patient with leukemia.Ann Thorac Surg. 2005; 80: 793-798
- Saving lives is more important than abstract moral concerns: Financial incentives should be used to increase organ donation.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 88: 1053-1056
- The ethics of mechanical support: the need for new guidelines.Ann Thorac Surg. 2011; 92: 1939-1942
- The American Association for Thoracic Surgery 2016 ethics forum: Working virtues in surgical practice.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2017; 153: 1214-1217
- Saying yes or saying no!.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016; 151: 243-244
- Is futility a futile concept?.J Med Philos. 1995; 20: 123-144
- Impact of morbid obesity after left ventricular assist device placement.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2017; 36: S182-S183
- Seventh INTERMACS annual report: 15,000 patients and counting.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2015; 34: 1495-1504
- Thinking, Fast and Slow.Farrar, Straus and Giroux, New York2011
National Health Expenditures 2017 Highlights. Available at: https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/NationalHealthExpendData/downloads/highlights.pdf Accessed June 29, 2021.
- Power, politics and universal health care: The inside story of a century-long battle.Prometheus Books, New York, NY2011: 39
Nunn R, Parsons J, Shambaugh J. A dozen facts about the economics of the U.S. Health-care system. The Hamilton Project. 2020. Available at: https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/HealthCare_Facts_WEB_FINAL.pdf. Accessed June 29, 2021.
Chart: Life Expectancy at birth and health care spending per capita. The Incidental Economist. 2013. Available at: https://theincidentaleconomist.com/wordpress/chart-life-expectancy-at-birth-and-health-care-spending-per-capita/. Accessed June 29, 2021.
- Cost-effectiveness of left ventricular assist devices in ambulatory patients with advanced heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol: Heart Failure. 2017; 5: 110-119
- Outcomes of left ventricular assist device implantation as destination therapy in the post-REMATCH era: Implications for patient selection.Circulation. 2007; 116: 497-505
- Medicare Coverage Database, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.2021 (Available at)Accessed June 29)
- Is there a role for the medical profession in solving the problems of the American health care system.Ann Thorac Surg. 2009; 87: 1655-1661
- The false ‘science’ of implicit bias.Wall Street J. 2017;
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: No funding was provided for this project.
Conflicts of Interest: The authors have no conflicts.
Read at the 43rd Annual Meeting of The Western Thoracic Surgical Association, Colorado Springs, Colorado, June 21-24, 201
Presented at the 43rd Annual Meeting of the Western Thoracic Surgical Association, Colorado Springs, Colorado, June 24, 2017