Closure of the left atrial appendage (LAA) reduces the rates of TIA/stroke in patients in atrial fibrillation (AF) but its role in patients in sinus rhythm who undergo mitral valve repair (MV) for leaflet prolapse remains unknown. This study examined the effects of closing the LAA in TIA/stroke after MV repair. Our database on patients who had MV repair for leaflet prolapse from 2000 through 2019 was reviewed. After excluding patients at higher risk of TIA/stroke, 1050 patients in sinus rhythm were entered into the study: 781 with open LAA and 269 with surgically closed LAA. Using a propensity score analysis to compensate from clinical differences, 267 pairs of patients with open and closed LAA were matched. Follow-up was truncated at 5 years because routine closure of the LAA was performed only during recent years. The cumulative incidence of TIA/stroke at 5 years in the entire cohort was 2.7% [95% CI 1.9, 4.0]; it was 2.9% [95% CI 1.9, 4.4] in patients with open LAA,and 1.8% [95% CI 0.7, 4.9] in patients with closed LAA (P = 0.53). In the matched cohorts, the cumulative incidences of TIA/stroke did not differ significantly (match-adjusted HR [95% CI] = 0.80 [0.21, 2.98], P = 0.74), and multivariable Cox proportional hazard regression analysis also confirmed no difference in the risk of TIA/stroke between the 2 groups (regression-adjusted HR [95% CI] = 0.58 [0.12, 2.9], P = 0.47). This study failed to show a reduction in the risk of TIA/stroke by closing the LAA in patients in sinus rhythm (Figure 6). Closure of the LAA during MV repair warrants a larger and more rigorous study.
Abbreviations:AF (atrial fibrillation), MV (mitral valve), LAA (left atrial appendage), MR (mitral regurgitation), TIA (transient ischemic attack), TEE (transesophageal echocardiography)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- revalence of diagnosed atrial fibrillation in adults: national implications for rhythm management and stroke prevention: the AnTicoagulation and Risk Factors in Atrial Fibrillation (ATRIA) study.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2370-2375
- Left atrial appendage occlusion during cardiac surgery to prevent stroke.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 2081-2091
- Impact of the maze procedure on the stroke rate in patients with atrial fibrillation.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1999; 118: 833-840
- Long-term results of mitral valve repair for regurgitation due to leaflet prolapse.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 74: 1044-1053
- Atrial fibrillation after surgical correction of mitral regurgitation in sinus rhythm: incidence, outcome, and determinants.Circulation. 2004; 110: 2320-2325
- New-onset postoperative atrial fibrillation predicts late mortality after mitral valve surgery.Ann Thorac Surg. 2011; 92: 2091-2096
- Atrial fibrillation complicating the course of degenerative mitral regurgitation: determinants and long-term outcome.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2002; 40: 84-92
- MIDA Investigators. Long-term implications of atrial fibrillation in patients with degenerative mitral regurgitation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2019; 73: 264-274
- Pre-operative atrial fibrillation as the key determinant of outcome of mitral valve repair for degenerative mitral regurgitation.Eur Heart J. 2005; 26: 1866-1872
- Epicardial left atrial appendage AtriClip occlusion reduces the incidence of stroke in patients with atrial fibrillation undergoing cardiac surgery.Europace. 2018; 20: e105-e114
- 2011 ACCF/AHA/HRS focused updates incorporated into the ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 guidelines for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: a report of the American college of cardiology foundation/American heart association task force on practice guidelines.Circulation. 2011; 123: e269-e367
- Left atrial appendage occlusion study II (LAAOS II).Can J Cardiol. 2013; 29: 1443-1447
- Late outcomes of mitral valve repair for mitral regurgitation due to degenerative disease.Circulation. 2013; 127: 1485-1492
- Very long-term durability of the edge-to-edge repair for isolated anterior mitral leaflet prolapse: up to 21 years of clinical and echocardiographic results.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014; 148: 2027-2032
- Success of surgical left atrial appendage closure: assessment by transesophageal echocardiography.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008; 52: 924-929
- A randomized, prospective pilot comparison of 3 atrial appendage elimination techniques: Internal ligation, stapled excision, and surgical excision.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016; 152: 1075-1080
Published online: November 21, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Disclosures: The authors have no conflict of interest to disclose.
This study was funded by the Division of Cardiovascular Surgery of University Health Network.
Read at the AATS 102nd Annual Meeting, May 14-17, 2022, Boston, MA.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.