Abbreviations:AKI (acute kidney injury), BMI (body mass index), CIT (cold ischemic time), CPB (cardiopulmonary bypass), ECLS (extracorporeal life support), ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation), ICAM-1 (intercellular adhesion molecule 1), ICU (intensive care unit), MMP (matrix metalloprotease), MV (mechanical ventilation), PGD (primary graft dysfunction), RBC (red blood cells), RRT (renal replacement therapy), SYN-1 (syndecan-1), UNOS (United Network for Organ Sharing), V-A ECMO (veno-arterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Seminars in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Report of the ISHLT Working Group on primary lung graft dysfunction Part IV: Prevention and treatment: A 2016 Consensus Group statement of the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2017; 36: 1121-1136https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healun.2017.07.013
- Extracorporeal life support during lung transplantation.Indian J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021; 37: 476-483https://doi.org/10.1007/s12055-021-01175-4
- Boston, MA2022 (Presenter: M. Hartwig; 102nd Annual MeetingAvailable at)Accessed August 6, 2022) Presentation: “AATS Expert Consensus: The use of mechanical circulatory support in lung transplantation.” May 16,
- Comparison of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation versus cardiopulmonary bypass for lung transplantation.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014; 148: 2410-2415https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2014.07.061
- Lung transplantation on cardiopulmonary support: Venoarterial extracorporeal membrane oxygenation outperformed cardiopulmonary bypass.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012; 144: 1510-1516https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2012.07.095
- Outcomes of intraoperative extracorporeal membrane oxygenation versus cardiopulmonary bypass for lung transplantation.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2015; 149: 1152-1157https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2014.11.039
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation versus cardiopulmonary bypass during lung transplantation: A meta-analysis.Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 66: 38-47https://doi.org/10.1007/s11748-017-0836-3
- Extracorporeal circulation during lung transplantation procedures: A meta-analysis.ASAIO J. 2017; 63: 551-561https://doi.org/10.1097/MAT.0000000000000549
- The glycocalyx: A novel diagnostic and therapeutic target in sepsis.Critical Care. 2019; 23https://doi.org/10.1186/s13054-018-2292-6
- Syndecan-1, an indicator of endothelial glycocalyx degradation, predicts outcomes of patients admitted to an ICU with COVID-19.Mol Med. 2021; 27https://doi.org/10.1189/s10020-021-00412-1
- The endothelial glycocalyx and perioperative lung injury.Curr Opin Anesthesiol. 2017; 30: 36-41https://doi.org/10.1097/ACO.0000000000000434
- Glycocalyx degradation after pulmonary transplantation surgery.Eur Surg Res. 2018; 59: 115-125https://doi.org/10.1159/000489492
- A panel of lung injury biomarkers enhances the definition of primary graft dysfunction (PGD) after lung transplantation.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2012; 31: 942-949
- Increased matrix metalloproteinase 9 activity and mRNA expression in lung ischemia-reperfusion injury.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2001; 20: 679-686
- Preoperative recipient cytokine levels are associated with early lung allograft dysfunction.Ann Thorac Surg. 2012; 93: 1843-1849https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2012.02.041
- Endothelial glycocalyx shedding predicts donor organ acceptability and is associated with primary graft dysfunction in lung transplant recipients.Transplantation. 2019; 103: 1277-1285https://doi.org/10.1097/TP.0000000000002539
- Postoperative microcirculatory perfusion and endothelial glycocalyx shedding following cardiac surgery with cardiopulmonary bypass.Anaesthesia. 2019; 74: 609-618
- Expression of soluble endothelial adhesion molecules in clinical cardiopulmonary bypass.Perfusion. 1998; 13: 314-321
- Expression of adhesion molecules and cytokines after coronary artery bypass grafting during normothermic and hypothermic cardiac arrest.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2000; 17: 723-728https://doi.org/10.1016/S1010-7940(00)00401-2
- Intracellular adhesion molecule-1 in patients developing pulmonary insufficiency after cardiopulmonary bypass.Thorac Cardiov Surg. 2003; 51: 138-141
- Direct evidence of endothelial injury during cardiopulmonary bypass by demonstration of circulating endothelial cells.Perfusion. 2006; 21: 133-137
- Plasma intercellular adhesion molecule-1 and von Willebrand factor in primary graft dysfunction after lung transplantation.Am J Transpl. 2007; 7: 2573-2578https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600.6143.2001.01981.x
- The endothelial glycocalyx and organ preservation – from physiology to possible clinical implications for solid organ transplantation.Int J Mol Sci. 2022; 22https://doi.org/10.3390/imjms22084019
- Matrix metalloproteinase-9 in lung remodeling.Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2003; 28: 12-24https://doi.org/10.1165/rcmb.2002-0166TR
- Heparin impairs glycocalyx barrier properties and attenuates shear dependent vasodilation in mice.Hypertension. 2007; 50: 261-267https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.107.089250
- Acute response of human aortic endothelial cells to loss of pulsatility during as seen during cardiopulmonary bypass.Cells Tissues Organs. 2022; 211: 324-334https://doi.org/10.1159/000512558
Zhang, Y, Zeng, J, Li, J, et al.. Pulsatility protects endothelial function during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Res Square. https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-157787/v1
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding: Funding provided by the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Dept of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Disclosures: All authors declare no conflict of interests. Kentaro Noda reports research grant from CareDx, Inc. James D Luketich reports stock/stock options from Cigna, Intuitive Surgical, United Therapeutics, and Smith and Nephew.
IRB Approval: STUDY19080225, 12/10/2019.
This manuscript was a presentation at AATS 2022.
Read at the AATS 102nd Annual Meeting, May 14-17, 2022, Boston, MA.